NovoCapsule Compatibility with New EU Regulations
According to recent European Council rules published in Bloomberg, the European Union plans to introduce significant changes in the packaging industry. These changes will see Europe do away with packaging material that is not environmentally friendly, like coffee pods and single-use plastic bottles. This damage is the reason for NovoCapsule’s environmentally friendly coffee capsules.
According to Mr. Yuval Weinshtock, Co-CEO of Novo, this move by the European authorities was expected due to the worldwide efforts to reduce global warming. “Novo capsule products surely helps sustainability over other plastic alternatives,” says Weinshtock.
The EU’s directive on single-use plastic aims to reduce plastic use in items frequently found on EU beaches. Some of these items include; food containers; cups for beverages; beverage containers; plastic bags; packets, and wrappers.
In the new rules, EU member states will have to reduce plastic waste per capita by 15% by 2040. This goal is only achievable if the states adopt reusable and recyclable packaging methods. Additionally, the EU will impose an outright ban on smaller ‘avoidable’ forms of packaging like shampoo bottles and coffee pods.
Currently, a typical European generates about 180kg of plastic waste annually. If not addressed, this figure could go up by 19% by 2030. Novo’s aluminum coffee capsules directly address this issue.
Not only does the use of plastic for packaging cause significant damage to the environment, but also human health. Here are some of the issues associated with the use of plastic packaging:
- Plastic packaging can take hundreds of years to degrade in the environment. This leads to the accumulation of plastic waste in landfills and the natural environment.
- Plastic waste can release harmful chemicals into the air, water, and soil, which can be toxic to plants, animals, and humans.
- Production of plastic packaging often involves using fossil fuels, which can contribute to air pollution and climate change.
- Plastic packaging can end up in the oceans, harming marine life and entering the food chain through consuming contaminated seafood.
- Some types of plastic packaging, such as polystyrene foam, can release chemicals harmful to human health when they come into contact with food or beverages.
- The accumulation of plastic waste can have aesthetic and economic impacts, such as litter in public spaces and the cost of managing and disposing of plastic waste.
Novo’s aluminum coffee capsules are safer, sustainable, and cheaper in the long run. There are many benefits to using Novo’s aluminum coffee capsules, as outlined below:
- Environmental sustainability: Novo’s PVC-free aluminum coffee capsules are made from aluminum, which is a recyclable material. This means they can be easily recycled and repurposed, reducing waste in landfills and the natural environment.
- Health and safety: PVC is a type of plastic that contains harmful chemicals, including phthalates, which can be toxic to human health. You can avoid exposure to these chemicals and protect your health using Novo’s PVC-free aluminum coffee capsules.
- Taste and quality: Aluminium is a high-quality material used to produce food and beverage packaging products. It is non-reactive and does not affect the taste or quality of the coffee, unlike some types of plastic, which can alter the flavor of the coffee.
- Cost-effectiveness: Novo’s aluminum coffee capsules are often more cost-effective than traditional PVC plastic capsules. They can be easily recycled and repurposed, reducing the need for frequent replacement and lowering the overall cost of your coffee consumption.
Novo supports the EU’s agenda by producing safe, high-quality aluminum bottles that will go a long way in reducing the plastic waste pandemic that has plagued Europe and the planet for decades. Moreover, our packaging enables private-label coffee businesses to preserve the quality of coffee they sell their customers and lower their packaging costs.